Our front yard, at the bottom of our hill, has become a pond. The size varies according to whether it has rained that day or not, and last night we had a half dozen deer frolicking in the water. (It was hilarious!) Our driveway is constantly flooded, and it’s become almost impossible to mow the yard.
Twice in the past three days, our household has had to seek shelter in our basement, as the tornado sirens went off in the little town a mile from our house. Getting everyone downstairs is no mean feat, considering Lakota can no longer go up and down stairs!
The first time, Monday evening, Brian was home, so he was able to carry Lakota downstairs. I gathered my wallet, cell phone, and all the papers that we’ve accumulated for our adoption dossier and followed with Annie. There was no way I wanted to have to gather all that paperwork again! (I also discovered that our little battery-operated transistor radio no longer worked. Uh-oh!)
Lakota enjoyed being downstairs – it was much cooler than upstairs, and I kept him and Annie occupied with little treats now and then. Meanwhile, Brian was watching the radar – on the computer UPSTAIRS, mind you – getting something to eat, and every once in a while coming downstairs to check on us. It must be a guy thing. They don’t believe there’s a tornado coming unless they actually see it with their own two eyes, I guess.
Anyway, once the warning time was over, the rest of the evening passed without incident. Whew!
Wednesday, I was at work when the reports came in the mid-afternoon that a cloud rotation had been seen only about 10 miles from our home, and it was headed our direction! It only took me a couple minutes to decide that I should go home and get the dogs to a safe place – when the weather report said that another cloud rotation had been spotted!
After a very anxious drive home, I arrived to find the dogs in a pretty calm state. I let them in the house and then proceeded to get everyone worked up! I tried to get them both downstairs, but I couldn’t lift Lakota (in fact, Brian had insisted that I not try to), and Annie wouldn’t stay downstairs unless I was there. So, we went back and forth a couple times – all the while, the dogs were getting more worked up. (not only from my anxiety, but the storm was getting closer)
Finally, I decided to cram us all in our little half bath. Now, Lakota is a big dog, weighing in at almost 100 pounds, and he doesn’t like small spaces. Annie was no problem; she loves the half bath – it’s her normal go-to place during a storm!
I put their leashes on and tried to lead Lakota inside the bathroom – nope, too small, not going. He wandered around the house for a bit, panting, while I stood there in exasperation. I was sure the tornado was going to come while we were all in a tizzy trying to figure out what to do!
Finally, I coaxed him in with LOTS of treats, and I closed the door. I wanted to look out, to see what it was doing outside, but I knew the minute I opened that door, both dogs would be up and out of there! So, we waited. And waited. The tornado warning was extended for an extra half hour, but seeing as it had taken me almost a half hour to get everyone in the half bath, we only had about 20 minutes more to wait.
The warmth inside the half bath increased. The dogs were panting feverishly, which didn’t help. I turned on the exhaust fan. Not much help. Finally, with about five minutes to go in the warning time, I couldn’t take it anymore! I opened the door and let the cool air come in. Ahhhhh!
Everything was fine and we were all safe. We had very heavy downpours of rain and some hail, and the driveway washed out in a couple spots, but we were okay.
I know that I will appreciate rain again someday, in July or August when it’s insufferably hot and dry. But for right now, I’ve had my fill. Rain, please go away!